Aorus X3 Plus V3 Review – If you want a highly mobile gaming laptop that packs a decent punch, you’re going to need to shell out some serious dosh to do so. The X3 Plus V3 is one such gaming laptop; weighing just 1.87kg it’s about as small as a real gaming laptop can get, yet it’s got the grunt to handle most of today’s games. It’s also got a price tag that is close enough to three grand that you can smell the pile of 30 $100 notes that it costs.
The 13.3 inch display packs in an incredible 3200 x 1800 resolution, and it’s an absolute stunner. It’d require dual GPUs to run games at this resolution, but there’s simply no room inside this laptop for such a solution, so Aorus has gone for NVIDIA’s new GTX 970M instead. It’s quite the capable performer, as our benchmarks attest, and as it should be for this price.
Intel’s i7 4710HQ is an able compatriot for the NVIDIA GPU, with a top speed of 3.5GHz, and it’s even a quad-cored, Hyperthreaded beauty. It’s amazing Aorus has managed to squeeze this inside such a small laptop, but the penalty has been noticeable fan noise while under load. It’s not unbearable though. Throw in a 512GB SSD and this is about as powerful as a 13.3 inch gaming laptop can get, making the high price tag somewhat easier to justify.
- Powerful CPU and GPU
- Very mobile
- Crisp display
- Very expensive
- Audible fan noise under load
Aorus X3 Plus V3 Specifications
- CPU: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.5GHz-3.5GHz)
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GDDR5 6GB
- RAM: 16GB DDR3L-1600
- Screen: 14-inch QHD+ 3200 x 1800 Wide Viewing Angle LCD
- Storage: 2 x 256GB SSD, RAID 0
- Ports: USB 3.0 x 3, HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, RJ45, Mic-in, Earphone-out, SD Card
- Connectivity: 802.11ac Wi-Fi; Bluetooth 4.0
- Camera: HD webcam
- Weight: 4.12 pounds / 1.87kg
- Size: 12.9 x 10.3 x 0.9-inches / 330 x 263 x 23mm (W x D x H)