Turtle Beach Earforce Z60 Review – Even when not using one of the preset audio profiles – gaming, cinema or music – and setting the EQ to flat, the Earforce Z60 headset still has some really impressive bass. The massive 60mm driver in each large, comfortable ear cup deliver a wide range of high fidelity low range tones, making explosions, engines and bullets really satisfying. Unfortunately even with the EQ set to flat, the high ranges are a bit muted. Even with the music setting chosen, the high range sound quality is a little disappointing. Set to cinema mode, the headset concentrates on the mid ranges making sure that dialogue is front and centre and not drowned out by the soundtrack of effects. The gaming mode is most satisfying when playing something explosive, as the 60mm drivers ramp up the bass response to the point of delicious absurdity.
The DTS Headphone: X virtual surround technology does a good job with directionality but as always falls far short of the crispness of real 7.1 sound. That said, the DTS Headphone: X tech does offer really excellent vertical virtualisation, clearly defining sounds that come from above. The removable mic does a decent job of recording and thanks to the inline controls, mic volume can be tweaked on the fly negating any need to fiddle with settings on your PC.
Although great for FPS and action, the huge drivers in the Earforce Z60 aren’t quite up to the job of providing a universally satisfying experience, with music and some gaming genres definitely suffering from the lacklustre high range response.
- Powerful drivers
- Huge bass
- Good virtual 7.1
- Disappointing high range
Turtle Beach Earforce Z60 Specifications
- Speakers: 60mm diameter speakers with neodymium magnets
- Cable length: 7ft/2.1m(Headset + In-Line Surround Sound Control Unit)
- Headband/Earpad Material: Fabric Headband and Earpads with Foam Cushioning
- Earcup Design: Around-Ear(Closed)
- Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz
- Microphone Design: Removable Omni-Directional Microphone
- User Interface: Independent Game + Chat Volume Controls, Microphone Control, DTS Headphone:X
- Control: Mode Control
- Headset Jack: 3.5mm 4-pole
- Game/Chat audio input: USB
- Mic Output: USB
- Power: USB
- Cable length: : 4ft/3.05m